Tuesday night (Nov. 28), RTD News completed a successful two-year run of the RTD Speaker Series.
More than 60 ticketholders showed up for what was a bonanza of topics, with Executive Editor Paige Mudd welcoming guests and Politics Editor Andrew Cain serving as the program’s moderator.
The lineup included:
- the year in photos and videos with Dean Hoffmeyer and James Wallace;
- a conversation with Ned Oliver about covering the Charlottesville rally and ongoing the discussion about historic monuments;
- the year in politics with Andrew Cain, Graham Moomaw and Michael Martz – a discussion about the election, the blue-ing of Virginia and a look ahead to the General Assembly session and big issues in January;
- the rare 2017 eclipse with John Boyer;
- local grocery wars in 2017 with Tammie Smith;
- highlights from Nicole Kappatos’ ongoing discovery of interesting information in our archives;
- and questions from the audience.
Readers applauded the speakers’ expertise and encouraged the RTD to stage more programs on current events and the important roles that journalists play.
This year’s Speaker Series featured eight events on topics ranging from politics in Virginia to college sports.
The RTD Events team is working on its 2018 schedule. Stay tuned for future announcements.
In the meantime, a well done to RTD News for this year’s series.