According to city records, 203 N. Lombardy St. is one address that encompasses a parcel of land that includes a single-family residential unit and two commercial spaces at 201-203 N. Lombardy St.
Here’s a history of 203 N. Lombardy St., compiled from information in the Richmond Times-Dispatch archives and city of Richmond records:
1910: Year built.
1911: Three-story, 12-room home listed for rent for $550 a year.
1925: Whole home. Relisted for rent for an undisclosed price.
1931: Now listed for rent as separate rooms within one house.
1938: An employment ad for a waitress, “white, experienced, over 21” listed for an unnamed restaurant at 201 N. Lombardy St.
1941: The same ad, but now for a restaurant called George’s.
1947: D&J Grocery is listed for the address, advertising for a butcher.
1952: An employment ad now calls the market space Stanley’s Market.
1959: A coin-operated laundromat and dry cleaners called Pear is operating out of the restaurant space.
1965: The single-family home is now advertised as three separate apartments.
1967: Jeff Diradour, father of Richmond developer Charlie Diradour of Lion’s Paw Development Co., buys the building, Diradour recalls. Diradour said that when his father bought the building, he converted the laundromat to a restaurant and that the market was called Price’s.
1968: A restaurant called Stuart Circle Grill is looking for waitresses, though Diradour recalls the restaurant was soon called Jeff’s Grill.
1972: Jeff Diradour sells Jeff’s Grill to Faris Gibrall. Gibrall changes the name to Faris’s Grill, then Faris’s Restaurant.
1973: Faris’s Restaurant is now simply called Faris’s and is known as a popular hangout for teenagers due to its “great sound system”; the market is now called Faris Market.
1974: The restaurant is now called Bogart’s.
1977: Bogart’s restaurant opens “Bogey’s Back Room” — advertised as a separate restaurant with a distinct, upscale menu and chef. The restaurant can be accessed through the alley or by walking through the “front rooms” of Bogart’s restaurant.
1982: Bogart’s is now owned by George Hatzi, who adds Greek and Italian items to the menu and removes a salad bar because, as Hatzi says, diners would rather sit and enjoy live jazz than “jump up” for the salad bar. The market is now called Lombardy Market.
1991: Bogart’s is still operating as two separate restaurants. A review that year reads: “Bogart’s is two restaurants in one building and I think maybe that’s one too many.”
1990s: Bogart’s back room becomes known more for jazz than food.
2001: Bogart’s is now owned by Jim Bacas.
2007: Charlie Diradour sells the building to Steve Gratz.
April 2008: Bogart’s closes. Gratz guts and renovates the entire restaurant space.
August 2009: Balliceaux restaurant opens and the space is completely transformed — the front of the building was pulled off and windows added, ceiling panels were removed and the drywall removed to create exposed brick.
June 2015: Balliceaux closes to rebrand its food menu from farm-to-table New American to French Indochine food.
September 2015: Balliceaux reopens with the restaurant portion now called Kampot in Balliceaux, serving Indochine/Thai food and named such after a region in Cambodia.
October 2016: Balliceaux’s music booker wears blackface to the restaurant as part of a Halloween costume. He later resigns amid calls to boycott the restaurant.
January 2017: Balliceaux closes. Richmond restaurateurs Jason Alley, Jay Bayer and Michele Jones announce they’re opening Flora restaurant in the space.
March 2017: Flora, a Mexican restaurant, opens.
August 2018: Flora shuts down as a Mexican restaurant and becomes a pop-up event space for other restaurants.
November 2018: Flora closes.
June 2019: Poor Boys restaurant opens.