At least four people were injured this afternoon when a section of a building housing the Curtis Bay Medical Waste Services center in Petersburg partially collapsed after an apparent explosion, city police and fire officials said.

Four employees were taken to a local hospital but none sustained life-threatening injuries, said Petersburg police Capt. Brian Braswell.

Mark Milazzo, division chief of administrative services for the Petersburg Bureau of Fire, said the apparent explosion and partial building collapsed was reported about 2:15 p.m.

Braswell, who was at the scene, said the explosion may have resulted from a boiler overheating inside the facility at 1945 Puddledock Road. The ensuing shock wave caused a corner of the two-story cinderblock and steel-frame building to collapse, he said.

Recommended for you

Commenting is limited to Times-Dispatch subscribers. To sign up, click here.
If you’re already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.