Henrico House Fire 0209

Henrico County firefighters responded to a structure fire in the 100 block of North Kalmia Avenue in Highland Springs.

Three adults and two children were displaced by a fire late Saturday in Highland Springs that resulted from unattended cooking, Henrico County officials said.

At 10:41 p.m., fire officials responded to the structure fire in the 100 block of North Kalmia Avenue and found heavy smoke coming from the roof. Fire also was venting from a side kitchen window.

Firefighters were told no one was inside the building and initiated “an aggressive interior attack” on the blaze, a news release said.

The fire was quickly extinguished, but the flames caused extensive damage to the kitchen and high heat and smoke damage to the rest of the building, fire officials said. The American Red Cross was asked to assist the residents who were displaced by the fire.

Henrico fire officials are reminding residents that unattended cooking is a major cause of fires.

“Never leave cooking food unattended,” the news release said.

Also remember to replace your smoke alarm batteries and practice a home escape plan.”

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.

Your RTD Sports Plus digital subscription does not include access to this section.

Upgrade to full digital and have unlimited access to Richmond.com. If you need assistance, call us at (800) 468-3382.

To start a new subscription or to activate digital access included in your print subscription, click the Sign Up button below. You can choose between Subscriber Plus, and receive unlimited access to Richmond.com, or Sports Plus for access to our exclusive sports coverage.

Already a digital subscriber? Click Log In.

Need help? Click here or call (800) 468-3382.

Learn more about Subscriber Plus or Sports Plus.