The roommate of a Powhatan County man who went missing in mid-June has been arrested in New York and charged in his slaying.

The victim’s body was discovered June 22 in a ditch in Louisa County, where authorities believe his remains were dumped.

At a news briefing in Louisa on Monday, the sheriff’s office announced that Anthony J. Davenport, 25, is accused in the June 18 slaying of Terell Jordan Bailey, 23, who was found fatally shot in a ditch line in the 1800 block of East Green Springs Road.

Davenport was apprehended Thursday at a relative’s home in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. He has been charged with murder and is being held in New York pending extradition to Virginia.

Louisa authorities said that after Bailey’s body was discovered, sheriff’s investigators immediately began working with the Powhatan Sheriff’s Office and Davenport arose as a suspect.

Authorities did not disclose that Bailey’s body was found until Monday. Officials said they needed the element of surprise to track and locate the suspect, as well as time to execute search warrants and preserve evidence before it could be compromised or destroyed.

Davenport and Bailey were roommates with a third man, Charles Tice, at a home in the 2100 block of Mountain View Road in Powhatan.

Eleven days before Bailey was reported missing, on June 9, Davenport is alleged to have severely beaten Tice with a baseball bat and robbed him of a few dollars; authorities believe Bailey witnessed Tice’s assault, said Powhatan Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Robert Cerullo.

“At this time, we can’t say whether the murder is linked to [the assault], except for the fact that the victim of the murder [Bailey] was a witness to the assault,” said Cerullo, who is prosecuting Davenport on the assault and robbery charges.

Cerullo said the motive for the assault was revenge because Davenport initially believed Tice had stolen money from him.

“Davenport allegedly took $15,” the prosecutor said. “He thought Tice stole from him, so he [allegedly] beat him up. All Tice had on him was $15. So Davenport [allegedly] took it and left Tice in a pool of blood on the floor.”

But Davenport later apologized to Tice, telling him he no longer believed he had taken his money, Cerullo said.

Davenport was arrested in New York by the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force, New York State Police and its tactical team, and Louisa sheriff’s investigators. An extradition hearing is scheduled for July 15.

Receive daily news emails sent directly to your email inbox

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.