DUMFRIES, Va. (AP) — A hotel's insurance company has sued a high school student it claims caused more than $690,000 in damage by activating a sprinkler inside one of its rooms.

The Virginian-Pilot reports Landstown High School senior Cade Anderson stayed at the hotel in Dumfries on Oct. 20, 2017, ahead of a junior ROTC drill competition the next day.

Anderson's attorney says his client hung his uniform on a sprinkler to properly affix all of the ribbons and medals. When he took the uniform down, the sprinkler activated.

Prince William County Assistant Fire Chief Matt Smolsky says 10 rooms, the hotel's kitchen and dining area flooded. Anderson's room was on the fourth floor.

Anderson's father's homeowner's insurance policy is paying for his defense. The company has asked the federal judge if it can be removed from the case.

———

Information from: The Virginian-Pilot, http://pilotonline.com

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Commenting is limited to Times-Dispatch subscribers. To sign up, click here.
If you’re already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.