CHARLOTTESVILLE — Members of the National Socialist Movement will not return to town the same way they did last summer if the neo-Nazi group participates in the planned Unite the Right anniversary rally in August.
A new consent decree motion signed by an attorney for the National Socialist Movement says the group’s members and its director, Jeff Schoep, are barred from returning to Charlottesville as an armed group.
The motion is part of ongoing litigation that seeks to prevent paramilitary activity at protests and demonstrations.
Represented by attorneys from the Georgetown University Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection, the city government and several neighborhood associations and businesses throughout the city are suing various white supremacist and independent militia groups from participating in unsanctioned paramilitary activity they argue state law prohibits.
An attorney representing the neo-Nazi group said it is unlikely it will return to Charlottesville for a rally that “pro-white” activist Jason Kessler is planning again for Aug. 12.
Last week, leaders with the League of the South, another white supremacist organization, agreed to a nearly identical consent decree.
The white supremacist rally last summer resulted in the death of a counter protester and two Virginia State Police pilots.