Photo Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
- Percentage change in millennial population: -5.3 percent
- Percentage of population that are millennials: 15.6 percent
- Median earnings among millennials: $40,448
- Median home price: $140,692
- Cost of living: 2 percent below average
Home to several prominent universities (University of Rochester and Rochester Institute of Technology) and a large immigrant population, the Rochester metro area lost over 5 percent of its millennial population. Millennials are leaving the area despite the affordability of homes and relatively low cost-of-living. Winters are harsh in this upstate New York metro area, but perhaps a number of incentives designed to attract businesses to the area will also bring in more millennials in the coming years.