3 p.m.

About two dozen potential jurors have been interviewed in private so far today, as the jury selection continues.

An Associated Press wire report earlier this afternoon noted that an attorney for Fields asked the prospective jurors what they thought about the use of violence in self defense.

The report asserts that Fields' attorneys will argue that he acted in self-defense when his vehicle struck the demonstrators.

Earlier in the day, when Judge Richard Moore asked whether anyone has a preconceived notion that Fields is guilty of the charges against him, about two-thirds of the 28 prospective jurors raised their hands.

Fields' attorneys earlier this year motioned for a change of venue, alleging that he would not receive a fair trial in the city.

Judge Moore has said he believes an impartial jury can be assembled, but the motion remains under advisement.


1 p.m.

Jury selection is currently underway for the trial of the 21-year-old man charged with killing Heather Heyer during the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville on Aug. 12, 2017.

James Alex Fields Jr. was arrested shortly after a vehicle plowed into a crowd of demonstrators who were protesting the white nationalist gathering at the city's statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Heyer, 32, died as a result of the violent crash. About 30 other people were injured.

Fields, who came from Ohio to participate in the rally, is facing a first-degree murder charge and eight counts of assault for allegedly driving into the crowd with an intent to kill and injure.

Starting with a pool of approximately 300 people, the attorneys and the court are continuing to narrow it down after a preliminary questionnaire was sent out.

After a delay in the start of the court proceedings Monday, about 70 potential jurors were seated in the court.

Judge Richard E. Moore said he intends to select 16 jurors within the next two to three days.

Twenty-eight potential jurors have been called to answer questions and for further screening. One woman was dismissed after telling the court that she recently moved out of the city.

The remaining 50-or-so potential jurors were dismissed from the courthouse and instructed to return at 2 p.m.

City officials are anticipating a large number of reporters to be in attendance throughout the three-week trial, but media activity was relatively calm Monday morning, with fewer than four camera crews stationed around the courthouse at around noon.

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.

Your RTD Sports Plus digital subscription does not include access to this section.

Upgrade to full digital and have unlimited access to Richmond.com. If you need assistance, call us at (800) 468-3382.

To start a new subscription or to activate digital access included in your print subscription, click the Sign Up button below. You can choose between Subscriber Plus, and receive unlimited access to Richmond.com, or Sports Plus for access to our exclusive sports coverage.

Already a digital subscriber? Click Log In.

Need help? Click here or call (800) 468-3382.

Learn more about Subscriber Plus or Sports Plus.