Photo Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
- Percentage change in millennial population: -6.6 percent
- Percentage of population that are millennials: 17.5 percent
- Median earnings among millennials: $38,425
- Median home price: $214,642
- Cost of living: 2 percent below average
The Virginia Beach metro area is comprised of several coastal communities in southeastern Virginia. While millennials make up over 17 percent of its population, a large number of millennials left the area between 2012 and 2017, causing the millennial population to decrease by over 6 percent. Tourism plays a large role in the area’s economy, which doesn’t have the tech jobs that millennial hotbeds tend to offer. Lower median wages may also be a detractor for millennials looking to build their financial future.